The wheel of civilization accelerated with the advancements of mode transportations and communication. The invention of bicycles and cars is one of the greatest inventions of human civilization. These made communication and transportation far easier and faster than ever. But these two modes of transportations have their own merits and demerits in terms of human mental and physical health, finance, environment, and others. Here we will focus on the above-mentioned issues of riding a bicycle and driving a car in detail.
Pros and Cons of Riding a Bicycle and Driving a Car
Riding a bicycle has enormous benefits in terms of health, economy, and environment, on the other hand, driving a car has exact opposite impacts. Let’s have a look into them.
- In a study it has been shown that cycling reduces stress level by up to 40% as a result it helps one to reduce anxiety and thus improves mental health.
- It reduces anxiety it helps one to sleep better at night
- Cycling reduces the chances of cardiovascular (heart) diseases. One study found that regular cycling can lower the rate of having heart problems up to 50% while another study says people who ride 20 miles per week have half the heart disease risk than people who don’t.
- It boosts your brainpower. A 2013 study found that during exercise, cyclists’ blood flow in the brain increase by 28%, and up to 70% in specific areas. Not only that but also even after exercise, in some areas blood flow remains up by 40%. And it reduces the chances of dementia in our later life.
- Cycling is a great way to help increase blood return from the lower body, reducing swelling and foot pain because it uses up glucose in your muscle cell. Thus it helps people with diabetes regulate their blood sugar and, control diabetes.
- Studies have shown that cycling in particular as one of the best sports to reduce cancer risk. Specifically, a study looked at bike commuters and found that cycling to work can reduce your chances of developing cancer by 45%.
- Cycling is one of the best practices for lowering your blood pressure since it helps your body circulate blood from your legs back to your heart.
- It can make you look younger reducing the signs of aging by protecting your skin from harmful UV rays found by a study from Stanford University.
On the contrary, there are a great number of hazardous impacts on health driving cars. Obesity, Diabetes, osteoporosis, and risks of losing your valuable life on car crashes
- Cycling does not emit carbon gas that is responsible for climate change and global warming. Thus it helps the environment.
- Cycling does not produce carbon dioxide as well as pollutants like nitrogen oxides and particulate soot. As a result, it helps to keep the air clean and smog-free.
- In comparison to the car, cycle makes far less noise and that helps to keep noise pollution in balanced.
- Car batteries produce toxic waste that is dangerous to dispose of and can’t be recycled. Cycling does not have this environmentally risky issue.
- Cars leak motor oil, brake fluid, and antifreeze that pollutes our water but the bicycle doesn’t have these issues.
- When you choose to ride a bicycle than to driving then you won’t idling in traffic and suck up your gas.
- Bicycles do not require gas like cars. So, it saves your hard-earned money.
- A bicycle is far cheaper than a car.
- Parking bike far cheaper than a car and in most cases it almost free.
- Bicycles are far less cheap to fix than cars. Even easy to learn to fix and do it by yourself.
- Bicycles are far less damaging than cars for the roads.
- Since cycling is far healthier than driving cars, it saves money.
Choosing a vehicle or a means of personal transportation is a matter to consider wisely because it’s related to your mental and physical health, economy, environmental sensitivity, and well being. Hence, considering these issues bicycle serves you best.